Letters and Sounds
We follow the phonics programme 'Letters and Sounds’ to support pupils who need to catch up with elements of their reading and writing. Following this programme, children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters;
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/ letter groups using simple picture prompts;
- learn how to blend sounds;
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out; and
- show that they comprehend stories by answering questions.